prompt 186 Holiday Collage
Thank you all for this opportunity and the very warm welcome.
It is a gift giving season. Handmade gifts are the best, and what better way to share love and self than writing. Let us write and wrap a poem as a gift.
Choose a person as a focus for the poem. It can be family, friends, lover, someone of major influence in your life, an unforgettable stranger, or anyone that sparks creativity in your writing.
- Focus on and describe one physical trait of the person–eyes, hair, lips, hands, smile, anything.
- Describe something he or she is does with that trait.
- Where would this person like to travel (or where would you like to take them)? Wrap the present in a scene from there by describing the scene in vivid sensory imagery.
- What gift/souvenir would you give them? How would it pair with the trait? Describe the gift with those questions in mind.
- On the enclosed card, write something to this person that you could only whisper to them when they are asleep (or separated from you).
Each of these steps could be viewed as unique small poems. Now make a collage which presents them (pun intended) as a whole–postcard, scrapbook page, quilt, holiday card, clever word-processing design or anything else.
I encourage you to take and make what you want of the prompt. I look forward to seeing everyone’s gifts.